Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rules To Follow When Painting

My friend assured me painting a room is so easy. I had my doubts, and now I see that in certain circumstances that might be true. But not in our house. Here are some pointers from one who now knows:

1--Make sure you buy enough paint to cover the entire room.

2--Especially if it's from the clearanced mistinted selection of your local Walmart, which despite being a great deal, is very difficult to match if you have to buy more, and may make it so you have to repaint it all.

3--If you do run out of paint, don't waste your time pulling out all your half-filled cans of leftover paints, mixing them together trying to get something close to what you already have on the wall.

4--Then definitely don't waste your time painting your walls with the color you came up with. Especially if you don't have enough (refer to suggestion #1.)

5--When taking a break, don't leave open cans of paint out for your kids to find, especially if they are your half-filled cans of leftover paint. That may also make it necessary to repaint.

6--When you have reached what seems like the end it is the crucial moment to be smart, aware, and learn from past mistakes. You have reason to feel proud, despite turning what should have been a couple hours project into a full days work. You made three different tints of the same color finally work successfully and subtly throughout the room. You managed to get that last bit of that great deal of a paint on a lot of the walls and the entire ceiling, had just enough of your own special concoction to put on the partial ceiling and wall, and then barely got by with that new paint (which you had to pay full price for at Walmart, which ended up being slightly too dark) on corresponding walls so nobody would ever notice they were different colors! Good for you! Now whatever you do, learn from past mistakes--don't leave out open cans of paint, especially paint pans and brushes. With three different tints of the same color all nearly run out, it would be tragic indeed if little creative hands found such devices lying about, and then were let loose in such a volatile room. That would be how you make a two hour project into a two day project.

4 comments:

sharon said...

Nice do-it-yourself manuel. I had a good laugh. I am so glad george only has a few scratches from the car incident and how positive you are I think you came out of that with something very special thanks for sharing

Sandra said...

Ohh... looks like you learned a lot of lessons in painting. I've thought about buying mismatched paint before because of the price but your comment has made my mind up not to :) I want to see pics of it though. I'm so glad that George is fine. I love your post about. It was great to see you!!! I still can't believe how long it's been since we have had a play group!

m and a said...

I want pictures too! And at least you have a good sense of humor about the whole thing.

overlyactive said...

This is why I haven't painted much. Most of our house is still the same white it came with. I had to laugh-loved the post!